Tuesday Tutorial - Pineapple



I first posted this on Give Peas A Chance in 2008. The weather is getting warmer and pineapples are going to arrive at the market ready for you to enjoy! Here's how we cut them up around here.

Let's get going...


First off, get a good knife, even if you will never use it for pineapple, get a good knife. Everyone should have one. These are the ones we have, I recommend them!
Anyway, get a nice ripe pineapple. Cut off the top green stuff and the bottom base.






Slice off the skin, leave as much flesh as you can. Flesh that sounds odd, let's say fruit from now on ok?






Now put the fruit on it's side and with the knife at an angle near some of the eyes cut a slit far enough down to pass the eye, I don't know if they are called eyes, but there you go.





Place the knife on the other side of the angle you just cut. Cut into that side at an angle to remove the eyes.








Ta-da...
Keep going, the funny thing about it is you always end up with a spiral...








like this...







Now stand it up and slice off fruit around the core. Don't throw out the core, my girls love me to put corn picks on them so they can eat around it like corn on the cob.





Now just cut the fruit into whatever size pieces you want.
Great eaten plain, in smoothies, in lemonade, in fruit salads... my favorite is with salt and cayenne powder.

3 Responses to “Tuesday Tutorial - Pineapple”

BEadECLECTIC said...

I JUST posted something similar when I made pineapple upside down cake. Cutting up fresh pineapple can take a bit of time but it's so worth it!

Anonymous said...

This looks so good! I had a couple of questions.

1) What is the best way to tell if a pineapple is ripe?

2) Has anyone tried freezing pineapple? Does it keep well in the freezer?

Thanks for the post!

-Jesi

Peasblog said...

I have never frozen one but I bet you can the only thing it would be good for though is smoothies I bet...
my mom told me that to tell if one is ripe you pull a leaf from the outside stem and if it comes off easy it's ripe,so that's what I do but "easy" is relative.
@BEadECLECTIC your cake looks fantastic. it matches the yellow of your blog perfect looks summery :-)